Thursday, April 5, 2012

The Vantage Point - Robert Frost

 IF tired of trees I seek again mankind,
Well I know where to hie me—in the dawn,
To a slope where the cattle keep the lawn.
There amid lolling juniper reclined,
Myself unseen, I see in white defined
Far off the homes of men, and farther still,
The graves of men on an opposing hill,
Living or dead, whichever are to mind.
And if by moon I have too much of these,
I have but to turn on my arm, and lo,
The sun-burned hillside sets my face aglow,
My breathing shakes the bluet like a breeze,
I smell the earth, I smell the bruisèd plant,
I look into the crater of the ant.

I really enjoyed this poem. I could imagine what was being described to me. My favorite part is "Far off the homes of men, and farther still, the graves of men on an opposing hill..." The part about the graves for some reason reminds me of when I traveled to Gettysburg. So many men died there and were buried, far off from their families. It is just a haunting feeling. 

There are many literary devices used, but the one that draws to me the most is the imagery. "To a slope where the cattle keep the lawn" is something that I can completely see. There are cows along the hill eating the grass, keeping it short. The person speaks of being reclined among the flowers, taking everything in. 

The pictures painted in my head create something beautiful. A chance to be alone in the world for a little bit, in my own space, but still able to see some of what is going on; my very own vantage point.

1 comment: